Featuring extracurricular activities you’ve taken part in can be a great way to showcase your passions and interests outside of studies or work.
Not only can they help your resume stand out, but they also show off how well-rounded you are. Do it right and you can give yourself an edge over other candidates.
First, you will need to identify relevant experiences. Think about events and organizations you’ve been involved in at university. This can include social clubs, sports teams, volunteer work, and even hobbies.
Then, make sure the extracurricular activities are relevant to your career goals. Let’s say you’re applying for a role in marketing. Highlighting your experience in marketing your college’s event would hold more weight than your participation in the school’s chess club.
To highlight your extracurricular experiences, it’s best to list them separately from your other experiences (eg. education, work). This is especially true if you don’t have any existing work experience. This helps you flesh out your strengths and lets hiring managers learn more about you.
When listing your extracurricular involvement, you should include…
- The name and a brief description of the organization
- Your role in the organization
- The dates of your involvement
- President of the English Debate Club (2016 – 2018) – Led a team of 20 students into the state championship.
- Volunteer at the Local Animal Shelter (2016 – 2017) – Assisted with the care of animals and managed the shelter’s social media accounts.
The key is ensuring your resume is tailored to the job you are applying for so that a hiring manager can immediately understand how you could fit in the company.
Check out the article below to see examples of other experiences you can include in your resume:
- How to Write About Your Work Experience
- How to Write About Your Educational Background
- How to Write About Your Projects
Related: How To Ace A Job Interview With No Work Experience (With Sample Answers!)
Generate a winning resume in seconds with our free Resume Builder.
Sign up on Hiredly and create customizable resume recruiters love that also gives you accurate job recommendations on Hiredly. All this without ever needing design know-how or extra software!